Stephen P. Pfeiffer is known locally as the “Go-To-DUI and Criminal Defense Attorney.” Stephen has been published as a coauthor in the in the nationally recognized “Inside the Minds” series by Aspatore Books on The Legality of Search and Seizure in DUI Cases “A Practitioner’s Everyday Insight Into DWI/DUI Defense in Virginia”.
Stephen has an AV® Preeminent Rating – the highest rating available from Martindale-Hubbell, the leading independent attorney rating entity. An AV® Rating signifies that the lawyer has reached the heights of professional excellence. Stephen is consistently selected as “Clients’ Choice” on Avvo.com. Stephen has been consistently recognized by his clients and peers and has obtained the highest rating available in the areas of DUI Defense, Criminal Defense and Federal Criminal Defense work.
Stephen was selected as a member of the National College of DUI Defense Attorneys and has been recognized as one of the top 100 DUI attorneys in Virginia by the National Advocacy for DUI Defense. Stephen is consistently recognized as one of Virginia’s Legal Elite by Virginia Business Magazine as well as being selected as a “Rising Star” by Virginia Super Lawyers. Recently Stephen was selected as Top 40 Under 40 Criminal Defense Lawyers for Virginia by the American Society of Legal Advocates. Additionally, Stephen is a founding member of the American Association of Premier DUI Attorneys. Stephen was recently selected as a “Top 10 Under 40” in the area of Criminal Law by the NACDA. Stephen was the American Bar Association’s 2007 National Champion in Legal Negotiations and serves as an adjunct professor at Regent University School of Law.
Areas of Practice
- Federal and State Criminal Litigation
- White Collar Criminal Defense
- Commercial Hauling and Overweight Citation Defense
- Virginia, 2007
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia, 2007
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, 2008
- U.S. District Court Western District of Virginia, 2010
- Regent University School of Law, Virginia Beach, Virginia
- J.D. (Cum Laude) – 2007
- Carroll College, Waukesha, Wisconsin
- B.A. (Summa Cum Laude) – 2004
- A Practitioner’s Everyday Insight into DWI/DUI Defense in Virginia, Aspatore, Inside The Minds – The Legality of Search and Seizure in DUI Cases, 2013
- Wiretapping: Risks for Clients and Private Practitioners, Docket Call: Newsletter of the Young Lawyers Conference, Virginia State Bar, Vol. 24 No. 4, Spring, 2008
- Construction Fraud: Not Just a Civil Matter. Docket Call: Newsletter of the Young Lawyers Conference, Virginia State Bar, Vol. 25 No. 3, Winter, 2008
- Southeastern Virginia Chapter, Community Associations Institute Publication
- Morris v. City of Virginia Beach, 58 Va. App. 173 707 S.E.2d 479, 2011
- Starling Education Services, “Ethical Consideration in Landlord/Tenant Law”, 2010
- Seminars Unlimited, “Navigating the Service Members Relief Act”, 2009
- “Tips on Legal Negotiations”, Regent University School of Law, 2008
- “Legal Negotiations”, Regent University School of Law – Adjunct Professor
- Advance Collections, 2010 CA Day
- “Advanced Collections”, 2011 CA Day
- “Legal Foundations”, SEV CAI’s Board Members Boot Camp
- “Landlord’s Rights and Options When the Deal Goes Bad”, Starling Education Services
Honors and Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell: AV Preeminent Rating
- Top 40 under 40 Criminal Defense Lawyers for Virginia by the American Society of Legal Advocates
- Top 10 under 40 Criminal Defense Lawyers Nationally by the NACDA
- Top 100 DUI Attorneys in Virginia by the National Advocacy for DUI Defense
- Founding Member of the American Association of Premier DUI Attorneys.
- Selected as one of Coastal Virginia Magazine’s, “Top Lawyers”, 2015
- Listed as one of Virginia’s “Legal Elite” (Criminal Law), Virginia Business Magazine, 2015
- Listed as one of Virginia’s “Rising Stars in Super Lawyers Magazine”, 2013 – Present
- ABA National Negotiation Champion, 2007
- Former 2nd District Representative, Board of Governors, Virginia State Bar Young Lawyer’s Conference
- Former, All Conference Middle Linebacker for Carroll University Varsity Football Team
Professional Associations and Memberships
- CBDX, Co-Founder and Past-President
- CBDA, Board Member, 2010 – 2014
- Community Association Institute
- James Kent Inn of Court
- Virginia Beach Bar Association, Circuit Court Liaison
- Virginia State Bar
- Virginia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- National College of DUI Attorneys
- American Association of Premier DUI Attorneys
- National Advocacy for DUI Defense
- American Society of Legal Advocates
THE LISTING OF SPECIFIC OR CUMULATIVE CASE RESULTS ON THIS WEBPAGE IS PROVIDED FOR YOUR REVIEW. YOU NEED TO BE AWARE THAT ACTUAL CASE RESULTS DEPEND UPON A VARIETY OF FACTORS THAT ARE UNIQUE TO EACH CASE. THE CASE RESULTS PROVIDED DO NOT GUARANTEE OR PREDICT A SIMILAR RESULT IN ANY CASE UNDERTAKEN BY THIS LAW FIRM.
For additional reviews of Mr. Pfeiffer please follow THIS LINK
Juan – DUI Client
Although I wish that I had met Mr.Pfeiffer under a different circumstance, his representation of my DUI case was nothing short of amazing. Challenging every possible piece of evidence and convincing the court to allow something that happens to 1 in 1,000. My case was reduced to a reckless driving. Lemonade brother.
Jay – DUI/DWI Client
The best decision I made after my DUI arrest was hiring Mr. Pfeiffer. My dad wanted me to hire a lawyer he had used before, a very well-known local DUI attorney, but Mr. Pfeiffer was available to meet me right away and after that I never regretted my choice. I had never been in any sort of trouble and he made me feel much better about my situation. He is a skilled attorney and did a great job getting my charge reduced to reckless driving. I have changed my whole outlook now on drinking and especially driving. I am thankful that I chose the right lawyer to guide me through this difficult time. Thanks again, Mr. Pfeiffer!
The Bishops – Criminal Client
Our family met Stephen Pfeiffer when we needed to retain an attorney in Virginia Beach. We are very grateful to have found him! He is a remarkable attorney! Upon meeting him, we immediately realized that he is bright, articulate, and very knowledgeable. He is also very personable. He was extremely successful in our case! He is one of the best attorneys we have ever known, which speaks volumes because my father is also an attorney. We are truly grateful to Mr. Pfeiffer for being so thorough and dedicated. Those who are fortunate enough to retain him will not be disappointed.
Michelle – Juvenile Matter
I am so thankful that my friend referred me to Stephen Pfeiffer. He represented my daughter who had 2 misdemeanor charges and one that was a possible felony. We initially spoke to his assistant, Julie, who was courteous, friendly, and professional. Shortly after, we received a call from Mr. Pfeiffer to discuss the details of the case. We knew we were in good hands after our first meeting. He listened attentively and made us feel comfortable that we could ask him any questions concerning my daughter’s case. He didn’t judge my daughter on her mistakes. He focused on being a counselor for her and provided beneficial advice in making her future brighter.
We strongly recommend Stephen Pfeiffer. His fees are very reasonable and he is a great attorney/counselor with an excellent moral character. We were also ecstatic with the outcome of the case. My daughter and I are very appreciative for all his hard work and effort. Many thanks!!
Lori – Criminal Defense
Mr. Pfeiffer represented me in a criminal case for which a previous employer alleged embezzlement, attempted embezzlement and computer fraud. The odds for any positive outcome were not in my favor at all because I had previously had those same allegations and charges 3 years prior and was advised by my former lawyer to take the deal offered to me but I would have to plead guilty. With having already a felony conviction on my record and now allegations were made for the same exact offense I knew I needed a great attorney to help prove my innocence.
Mr. Pfeiffer had success in general district court by providing such proof even after having only minutes to review documents given by the prosecutor and the case was dismissed, however my case was direct indicted to circuit court anyway. I have never had any one person believe in me the way that he has believed in me nor fight for me with the knowing the odds. I was offered another plea deal in this case and refused to take the deal because I was not going to admit to a crime that I didn’t do once again because I was afraid and uneducated to the law. Mr. Pfeiffer always made sure that I was informed of every step taken with my case. He made sure that I knew my options, good or bad, and not one time tried to get me to plea after knowing I wanted to stand and fight this time.
The outcome of my case was not one that I would’ve hoped for however the judge in my case was unfortunately very harsh even after Mr. Pfeiffer proved that my accuser had lied openly in court as well as me providing a great character witness(current employer) on my behalf. I believe if I hadn’t had Mr. Pfeiffer representing me and his passion to defend me as his client then I would’ve received an outcome to which I never want to imagine. I can proudly say that no matter what legal circumstance I have in the future (if any) or an acquaintance of mine may have, I would not hesitate to hire him to represent me again!